Ada County Prosecutor
Your Ada County Prosecutor Jan M. Bennetts

Court Information FAQ - Ada County Prosecutor

(Please see for the latest version of this information)

Home > Court Information > Court Information FAQ

Court Information FAQ

Can I report a crime to the Prosecuting Attorney's Office?

In most cases, a crime must be reported to the police department or other law enforcement agency which has jurisdiction over the city or county where the crime occurred.

For example, if the crime occurred in the City of Boise, Meridian or Garden City, it should be reported to the local police department. If the crime was committed in the unincorporated area of Ada County, the crime should be reported to the Sheriff’s Office.

Note, however, that reports of officer or deputy misconduct should be reported to the Internal Affairs section of the officer’s or deputy’s department.

I am the victim of a crime and I want to drop charges.

Crimes are charged by the Ada County Prosecutor’s Office on behalf of the People of the State of Idaho, not on behalf of any particular victim. The decision to file charges in any criminal prosecution can only be made by an attorney in the Prosecutor’s Office. A victim’s wishes will be considered, but the final determination whether or not charges will be filed or dismissed rests with the Prosecutor’s Office.

How do I file a domestic violence complaint with your office?

Contact your local law enforcement agency. They are responsible for the investigation of domestic violence cases. Our Domestic Violence Unit will review the investigation report and file any appropriate criminal charges.

I was the victim of a crime. Can you tell me the defendant's next court date?

The Prosecutor’s Office can provide you with the next court date if we have filed charges against the defendant. To obtain this information, call (208) 287-7700 for assistance.

Can I talk to Ms. Bennetts? I think she's the person handling my case since her name is on all the documents in my case.

Ms. Bennetts is the Ada County Prosecutor and her name appears on most court documents in your case. Ms. Bennett’s name also appears on all Ada County Prosecutor’s Office correspondence in your case just above the signature of the employee who wrote the letter. The person working on your case is most likely the person who actually signed the court document or letter. This is the person you should contact.

I am a defendant and I don't like the attorney who is representing me. Can I talk to you or one of your deputies about my case?

No. All attorneys are governed by a code of ethics which prevents them from speaking directly to anyone who has an attorney. As long as you are represented by an attorney, we may speak only to your attorney. Any questions that you have about your case should be answered by your attorney.

I was cited and released by the police. Can you tell me if the Prosecutor filed charges against me?

To find out whether charges have been filed against you, telephone the Prosecutor’s Office located in the city where the crime occurred. In Boise City call (208) 384-3870, in Garden City call (208) 472-2900, and in Meridian call (208) 466-9272. All other citations issued in unincorporated areas of Ada County, including those issued in Kuna, Eagle, Star, Port of Entry, Fish and Game, and/or by the Idaho State Police call (208) 287-7700.

I want a divorce. [Or, I want to sue someone. Or, I want to adopt a child.] Can the Prosecutor's Office help me?

No, but a private attorney may be able to help you. If you do not have a lawyer, you can contact the Idaho State Bar Association’s Lawyer Referral Service at (208) 334-4500.

You can also file the paperwork yourself. Most forms for family law cases and other civil (non-criminal) court matters can be obtained through the Court Assistance Office, located in the Ada County Courthouse, 200 West Front Street, First Floor, Boise, Idaho 83702, (208) 287-6963.

I have a complaint about your office. How do I contact you and will you respond?

Please write to Jan Bennetts, Ada County Prosecutor, 200 West Front Street, Room 3191, Boise, Idaho 83702. I or someone in authority will contact you about your complaint.