Standoff with armed man in Kuna ends when man shot himself - Ada County Sheriff

(Please see for the latest version of this information)

Home > News > Standoff with armed man in Kuna ends when man shot himself

Standoff with armed man in Kuna ends when man shot himself

A five-hour standoff between Kuna Police and an armed man sitting in a car in the Hawks Nest neighborhood ended when the man shot himself.

Paramedics waiting nearby began treatment immediately following the self-inflicted gun shot and took 19-year-old Ryan Lee to a local hospital for treatment. Initial reports indicate the injury did not appear to be life-threatening.

Kuna Police began their investigation just after 2:30 p.m. Tuesday after they got a call about a protection order violation when Lee,  holding a gun, walked up to the Black Hawk Drive home of a woman who has the order against him.

The woman did not answer the door and called 911 to report what happened. At that point, Lee walked back to his car, which was parked in the street.

Lee refused to get out of the car when Kuna Police arrived moments later and told officers he was either going to shoot himself or walk out of the car while holding the gun.

Kuna Police and Ada County Sheriff’s Office deputies then formed a perimeter around the car while members of our Crisis Negotiation Team continued to have contact with Lee via cell phone, urging him to put the gun down and end the standoff peacefully.

Ada County dispatchers issued a Code Red message for the neighborhood shortly after 3 p.m. telling people what was going on and asking them to stay in their homes.

The standoff ended around 7:30 p.m. after members of the Ada County Metro SWAT team drove their MRAP armored vehicle and Boise Police SWAT team drove their Bearcat vehicle in to block the car and keep Lee from driving away and putting other people in the neighborhood at risk.

Criminal charges against Lee – including felony stalking – will be filed as soon as he is able to leave the hospital.