Ada County Sheriff

Veterans' Preference - Ada County Sheriff

(Please see for the latest version of this information)

Home > Careers > Veterans’ Preference

Veterans’ Preference

Idaho Law provides veterans’ preference for individuals who have been in active service, other than active duty for training, of the United States as defined by Idaho Code, Title 65, Chapter 5, Section 502. Veterans’ preference is also provided for individuals who have served on active duty in the armed services, have been discharged honorably, and who have a present service-connected disability of 10% or more, or are a Purple Heart recipient. Veterans’ preference points, where applicable, are added to the final score and may improve a veteran’s position on a list of qualified candidates. The preference points added are used only for initial appointment and not for promotions, transfers, or reassignments. Veterans’ preference requires public employers to provide additional consideration for eligible veterans, but it does not guarantee the veteran a job.

Who is eligible?

To be eligible for veterans’ preference points you must have been discharged under honorable conditions and:

  • Served on active duty in the armed forces at any time, and have established the existence of a service-connected disability of 10% or more or are a Purple Heart recipient; OR
  • Served on active duty at any time from December 7, 1941 and ending July 1 1955; OR
  • Served on active duty for 180 consecutive days , any part of which occurred after January 31, 1955, and before October 15, 1976; OR
  • Served on active duty at any time from August 2, 1990 and ending on January 2, 1992; OR
  • Served on active duty for a period of 180 consecutive days, any part of which occurred during the period beginning on September 11, 2001, and ending when prescribed by Presidential proclamation or by law as the last day of Operation Iraqi Freedom; OR
  • Been awarded an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (AFEM), whether the campaign is listed here or not.* Some of the most common campaign medals are; Vietnam (Service Medal), El Salvador, Lebanon, Granada, Panama, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Southwest Asia (Persian Gulf), Somalia, Haiti, etc.

Additionally, if you are the spouse of a disabled veteran who is physically unable to qualify for any public employment because of a service-connected disability or are the widow(er) of a preference eligible veteran or disabled veteran who remains unmarried, you are eligible to receive veterans’ preference points. *For a complete list of wars, campaigns, and expeditions of the Armed Forces which qualify for veterans’ preference, go to

Claiming Veterans’ Preference

Veterans’ preference is limited to Ada County initial hire only. To claim veterans’ preference, please complete the Veterans’ Preference form found at the link below. Claim forms must be received by the closing date of the position you are applying for.  If you receive a conditional job offer, a copy of your DD214 (showing an honorable discharge) will be required at that time.

Email Candi Presley at