The Ada County Sheriff’s Office will likely disqualify any candidates whose background includes the following:
- Have used marijuana, cannabis, hashish, oils, edibles, vaporizers or any other substance containing THC or CBD in both natural and synthetic forms within the last 3 years. This also includes use in states and countries where marijuana has been legalized or for medical use.
- Have used any other drug (methamphetamine, heroin, cocaine, mushrooms, etc …) within the last five years.
- Have illegally used, abused, or misused prescription drugs or steroids within the last 5 years.
- Have snorted, inhaled, or huffed any substances, such as glue or paint, in order to get high within the past 5 years.
- Have sold, transported, or manufactured illegal drugs for profit within the last 10 years.
- Any adult felony convictions. (Juvenile felony convictions will be reviewed on a case by case basis). This policy will also include withheld judgments as convictions.
- Any misdemeanor conviction for crimes involving domestic battery or violence, child abuse, stalking, or voyeurism.
- Any criminal probation must already have been served.
- Have regular contact with those who use illegal drugs, are incarcerated, or on probation/parole.
- Have been convicted of Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the last 3 years.
- Have had a driver’s license suspension within the last three years relating to a DUI, chemical test refusal, or points assessed due to moving traffic violations (if driving is an essential function of the job).
- A “dismissal,” “bad conduct discharge” (BCD), “dishonorable discharge” (DD), or administrative discharge of “other than honorable” (OTH).
- Any other military discharge will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- The policy of the Sheriff’s Office is to hire applicants who do not smoke or use simulated smoking products. Applicants must have not used the following for at least three (3) months prior to applying; cigarettes, e-cigarettes, vaporizers, cigars, pipes, hookah, or cloves. The use of chewing tobacco and snuff is excluded from this standard.
- Misstating, omitting or deliberately lying about anything during any stage of the hiring process.