Permitting Division - Development Services

(Please see for the latest version of this information)

Home > Development Services > Permitting Division

Permitting Division

About Us

The Permitting Division is committed to providing the best customer service experience possible. Whether you are a developer, contractor, home owner, or member of the public we strive to make the experience enjoyable.  We will assist you with completing submittal requirements for applications, locating information and any other questions you may have.  We accept all applications submitted to Development Services, process payments, complete Public Record Requests, review building permits for compliance with Dimensional Standards and complete over-the-counter processes for simple additions/shops/remodels/agricultural structures and other projects.


I’m planning on putting a shed on my property, do I need a building permit?

A building permit is not required for sheds that are one story in height, less than 200 square feet and used for storage.  For a full list of exceptions, see R105.2.

Can I submit for an application online?

Currently, the only application that may be submitted online is a mechanical application.  All other applications are required to be submitted in person.  We are working towards a customer portal that will allow online submissions for other application types.  The mechanical application may be submitted by emailing a completed application to or by filling out a form-fillable pdf (Mechanical Permit Application).

What are my required setbacks?

The setbacks for a property can be found by first determining what the property is zoned.  This can be done by entering the property address on the City and Zoning Lookup Page.  For properties is a Rural Base District (RP, RR, and Rural Residence) the setbacks can be found in Section 8-2A of the Ada County Code. For properties in a Residential Base District (RUT, RSW, R1-R20), setbacks can be found in Section 8-2B of the Ada County Code.

For properties located inside of a subdivision, there may be recorded easements that are greater than the minimum setback.  Call 208-287-7900 if you have any questions.

What other agencies may require permits?

Idaho Division of Building Safety (Electrical and Plumbing Permits) 208-334-3950

Central District Health (Septic Permits) 208-327-7499

Boise Public Works (Sewer Permits) 208-608-7100

Other links/Phone Numbers

There are other jurisdictions you may need to work with in submitting an application. We have linked them below for your convenience.

Benjamin Pavelka

Permitting Manager, ICC Certified Residential Plans Examiner, NICP CPTED Design Professional

Samantha Tatilian

Planning and Building Specialist

Alison Crist

Planning and Building Specialist, ICC Certified Permit Technician

Kyle Bilinski

Plans Examiner