Home > Commissioners > Commissioner FAQ

Commissioner FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions  about the Commissioners here at Ada County

How do I get a copy of Ada County agreements, ordinances, resolutions or meeting minutes?

All of these records are on file with the Ada County’s Clerk’s Office who is the official record keeper for the County. The Clerk’s Office is located on the first floor of the Ada County Courthouse Complex. Copying charges may apply. You can also visit the Ada  Clerk/Auditor/Recorder’s page on this site to locate some of this information. Please note that all Ada County documents are not on the web.  Please refer to the Public Records Request page for further information.  Note that audio recordings of some open meetings of the Board of Ada County Commissioners are available via the Commissioners’ Meeting Agendas page on this site.

How do I get a taped copy of the Commissioners meetings?

The Ada County Commissioners’ Office keeps tapes of the Ada County Commission’s Meetings. Many meeting audio recordings are now available online via the link above.  You can request a copy of a tape by completing a Records Request Form. This form and more information are available on the Public Records Requests page, or by contacting the Commissioners’ Office at 208 287-7000. There may be a charge for copies of records.

How do I appeal an assessment?

While the Assessor is responsible for the appraisal of property in a county; it is the responsibility of the Commissioners, convening as the Board of Equalization (BOE), to correct assessment errors when the property owner appeals the assessment. Valuation Appeal Forms can be picked up at the Assessor and Commissioners’ offices. The completed Valuation Appeal Forms should be returned to the Commissioners’ Office as quickly as possible. If a hearing is requested, a hearing will be scheduled for the next available session during BOE. BOE runs from the fourth Monday in June to the second Monday in July. An appraiser will review the appeal and contact the Appellant to see if an agreement can be made.  If an agreement cannot be reached, arrive at the scheduled hearing time prepared to present support for your appeal.

How do I obtain a hardship exemptions?

Hardship Exemptions are intended to be for a single tax year and are non-renewable. To receive an application, contact Ada County Indigent Services at 208 287-7960. Return the completed and notarized application to the Indigent Services Office. After receipt, a staff member will contact the applicant to set up an appointment to discuss the application. After the application is reviewed, you will be notified of the date and time your application will go before the Commissioners for approval or denial.

How do I get a Property Tax Exemption?

The responsibility of granting property tax exemptions pursuant to Title 63 of the Idaho Code falls upon the Board of County Commissioners. Property tax exemptions for non-profit organizations are outlined in Idaho Code § 63-602. There are four exemptions that are commonly processed by the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC): Charitable, fraternal and benevolent (§ 63-602C); religious corporations (§ 63-602B); educational organizations (§ 63-602E) and hospital exemptions pursuant to Idaho Code § 63-602D.

To receive an initial (long form) application, contact the Commissioner’s Office at 208 287-7000 or download the from the property tax exemption page.  The application must be completed and returned to the Commissioner’s Office no later than the fourth Monday of June along with Articles of Incorporation, By-Laws and financial statements. Once the application is approved or denied, the organization will be notified of the decision by mail. Exemptions are not granted automatically– an application must be submitted every year, in accordance with Idaho Code Section 63-602. If your organization has been granted an exemption the prior year, a short-form will be mailed to you during the month of January. Please fill out the form and return it as quickly as possible.  The form referenced needs to be received no later than April 15th. If you do not receive a short form and have received an exemption the previous year, please ensure that you contact the Commissioners’ Office to request the form.