Motor Vehicles FAQ - Assessor

(Please see for the latest version of this information)

Home > Assessor > Motor Vehicles > Motor Vehicles FAQ

Motor Vehicles FAQ

What Are Idaho's Motor Vehicle Requirements?

To register a vehicle in Idaho:

  • The vehicle must belong to an Idaho resident or business.
  • The vehicle must be titled in Idaho before it can be registered. (You can apply for vehicle registration immediately after the titling process has been completed.)
  • Out of State vehicles, registering for the first time in Idaho, must bring vehicle to DMV for a VIN inspection.
  • You must provide your Idaho Driver’s License number or Social Security number.

What Is The Idaho State Parks Passport Program?

NEW this year, in partnership with Idaho Parks & Recreation, annual Parks Passports will be available for purchase at local Ada County DMV offices. The annual Parks Passport is $10.00 per vehicle and provides admission to all 30 Idaho State Parks for one year, trail and boat launch access, and even camping discounts. The Passport expires concurrently with vehicle registration. A full list of Idaho State Parks is available at

Where Do I Obtain A Copy Of My Motor Vehicle Record?

You may obtain a copy of your Motor Vehicle record via the Internet at  or by visiting Sheriff DMV office on Benjamin St. The online cost is $5.50.

Why Are New Plates Required?

Idaho law requires that license plates be reissued every seven years. The next plate in the series will be issued unless you check the box indicating you want to retain your existing plate number. If you choose to keep your existing plate number it must be special ordered. You will be issued a temporary permit as it may take up to six weeks to receive your new plate.

Where Do I Go To Register My Motor Vehicle?

What Types Of Plates Are Available At My County Assessor's Offices?

This is a listing of all plates available for purchase.

Whom Can I Turn To For Further Information?