Conducting a Transaction - Assessor

(Please see for the latest version of this information)

Home > Assessor > Motor Vehicles > Conducting a Transaction

Conducting a Transaction

To REGISTER your motor vehicle, please visit one of our branch locations.

  1. If you purchased a new vehicle from an Idaho dealer, you must bring in your pink copy of the form 502 out of your rear window
  2. If you are new to Idaho you must bring your vehicle in to DMV for a VIN inspection. If you have no lien holder you must bring your out-of-state title into DMV.  If your vehicle is financed or leased please download the Lien Letter  from our Documents and Forms page and submit it to your lienholder so that they may release the out-of-state title to the Motor Vehicles office of your choice (Note: When downloading the file please select the DMV office that you wish to have the title released to).  Once the title has been released, registrants will receive a notification via mail to bring their vehicle to the Motor Vehicles office for completion of the registration process.
  3. You must provide your Idaho Driver’s License number or Social Security number.

To RENEW a motor vehicle license by phone, please read the following:

  1. Please call (208) 577-3135 (our Motor Vehicle Licensing call center)
  2. Give the clerk the license plate number you want to renew.
  3. The clerk will process your transaction and verify pertinent information with you. The clerk will also tell you the amount of the transaction.
  4. Give the clerk your Visa or Mastercard number and the card’s expiration date.
  5. You will receive the processed registration in the mail or may pick it up at the Franklin Rd.,”will call” window.
  6. Idaho law requires that license plates be reissued every seven years. If your plate is over seven years old, the renewal will include the cost of new plates and a mailing fee. For a small additional fee, you can retain your existing plate number.