Veterans' Preference Information

General Information

Idaho Law provides veterans' preference for individuals who have been in active military service, other than active duty for training, as defined by Idaho Code; Title 65, Chapter 5, Section 502. Veterans’ preference is also provided for individuals who have served on active duty in the armed services, have been discharged honorably, have a present service-connected disability of 10% or more, or are a Purple Heart recipient. Veterans’ preference points, where applicable, are added to the final score and may improve a veteran’s position on a list of qualified candidates. The preference points added are used only for initial appointment and not for promotions, transfers, or reassignments. Veterans’ preference requires public employers to provide additional consideration for eligible veterans, but it does not guarantee the veteran a job.

Who is eligible?

To be eligible for veterans’ preference points, you must have been discharged under honorable conditions and:

  • Served on active duty in the armed forces at any time, have established the existence of a service-connected disability of 10% or more, or be a Purple Heart recipient; OR
  • Served on active duty at any time from December 7, 1941 to July 1 1955; OR
  • Served on active duty for 180 consecutive days; any part of which occurred after January 31, 1955, and before October 15, 1976; OR
  • Served on active duty at any time from August 2, 1990 to January 2, 1992; OR
  • Served on active duty for a period of 180 consecutive days, any part of which occurred during the period beginning September 11, 2001, and ending when prescribed by Presidential proclamation or by law as the last day of Operation Iraqi Freedom; OR
  • Been awarded an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (AFEM), whether the campaign is listed here or not.* Some of the most common campaign medals are; Vietnam (Service Medal), El Salvador, Lebanon, Granada, Panama, Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Southwest Asia (Persian Gulf), Somalia, Haiti, etc.

Additionally, if you are the spouse of a disabled veteran who is physically unable to qualify for any public employment because of a service-connected disability or if you are the widow(er) of a preference eligible veteran who remains unmarried, you are eligible to receive veterans’ preference.

*For a complete list of wars, campaigns, and expeditions of the Armed Forces which qualify for veterans’ preference, go to

Claiming Veterans' Preference

Veterans’ preference is limited to a county initial hire only. To claim veterans’ preference, please complete the Veterans’ Preference form found at the link below. Send the form to Ada County Human Resources along with your DD214 and, if applicable, your letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs stating your disability determination. Forms must be received before the closing date of the position you are applying for.

Email to:

Or fax to:   208-287-6999

Or mail to:  Ada County Human Resources
                     Ada County Courthouse
                     200 W. Front Street, Rm. 2210
                     Boise ID 83702


Veterans' Preference Form for Ada County



Ada County OfficesCourthouse200 W. Front StreetBoise, ID 83702Phone: (208) 287-7080